Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Some Prim Decorating~

I moved in to this house in late October and this week I finally unpacked the decorations and made my home a bit more primitive. I put it off long enough!

I'm already thinking of things I can make to help decorate my home. Oddly, only a few things that I have, were made by me. I end up selling everything I make, so I don't have any for myself.
I'm loving what I've done, but I need sooooo much more. I still have to do the kitchen, dining area, bath and bedrooms and there's still empty walls in the living room.
I painted the rag dolls on old boards from a local cabin. I had seen the photos of prim dolls and painted the boards from those. They are probably one of my favorite things I've ever made.
I made the Americana black doll that's on top of the tv cabinet, but I sold it last week. I brought it home to pack up for shipping, and used it for the photo. I'm thinking of putting a homespun curtain up to cover the tv when we're not using it.The spring cross stitch pillow is made by me, but it's for sale also. I must stop doing that! I think that's all I made myself. Everything else I bought.
The cabinet with the curtain on it, hides our shoes. Instead of them being on the floor by the door, I painted the cabinet and put a curtain on it. I bought that at a flea market sale for $5! It was missing the doors which is why I guess it was donated. There are two drawers on the bottom that I still need to put the knobs on. Oh, I also made the little "simplify" stitchery pillow hanging on the star rack.


I still have painting to finish on cabinets, walls and baseboards.

Since I'm just getting started with this, things may be switched around before it's all said and done.

I have a triple pane window that I want to get mirrors put in. I may place that over the couch. Some of the stuff looks a bit miss-matched to me, but it's good for now.

I'll also be making homespun curtains in barn red/tan cotton. The ones that are there now are only temporary. Look closely and you'll see that I didn't even hem them. :)

I hope you enjoyed the beginning of my prim decoratings!

8 comments:

basketsbyrose said...

You our taking a house and making it a home! You are well on the way.

KEEPSAKE KORNER said...

Looking good. You have a fantastic start to setting up your new home!
Hugs
Susan
KeepSakeKorner

Carol said...

I love it Doreen. I like the idea of curtains to cover up. You're really goin' to town and doing an excellent job at it. Hugs~Carol

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

Looks great Doreen! You are off to a wonderful start. Your dog looks nice and happy in your new home :0)
Kim

Jody said...

Your home is really coming together...it takes so much time doesn't it! You have a great start though!

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

I love the idea of a homespun curtain cover up.
I saw where someone used the empty windowpane to display aprons and homespun dish towels. I'm going to try to incorporate that kind of display at my house; maybe doiles or embroidered pieces. You have way plenty talent to FILL your home with primness! And I can tell from how it's going that you will do a powerful job!

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

P.S. Love that lil dog o' my heart!

Angie Berry said...

Girl, you're doing better than me! We moved into our house 3.5 years ago and it was almost 2 years before I put anything on my walls or did any kind of decorating. Once I started though, I haven't stopped yet. I still have my living room that is basically untouched but I'm getting there. He he! I love everything you've done so far!