I was given this wool blanket from a friend that got it at Goodwill. It wasn't quite the orange I wanted for primitive pumpkins and penny rugs. Perfect guinea pig fabric for my new adventure!
I went to Labadie Looms in Bird-in-Hand, PA and bought some Cushing's dye. The shop owner suggested I use 'rust' and I'm very happy with it!
I was afraid I'd make a big mess and put some some old clothes on and got out an old pot that I was saving for just this kind of project.
I'm amazed at how easy it was and I didn't make a mess at all!
The darkest piece is the first one that went in the dye. The one on the far right is the last piece that went in.
The fabric actually soaks up the dye, so the mixture gets lighter and lighter. I just kept adding pieces until the water was clear. There are 4 pieces all together, but one is hidden in the photo.
This is the exact look I was going for and now I'm hooked on dyeing wool!!!